2022 Colorado Journalist of the Year has ‘clear record of success’

Kira+Zizzo+covers+the+protest+at+the+Douglas+County+School+District+headquarters+after+Superintendent+Corey+Wise+was+fired+without+cause.+
Kira Zizzo covers the protest at the Douglas County School District headquarters after Superintendent Corey Wise was fired without cause.

Senior Kira Zizzo at Rock Canyon High School was named the Colorado Student Media Association Dorothy Greer Scholarship winner for 2022. She will receive a $3,000 college scholarship as she moves on to her next endeavors. 

One judge wrote that “Kira’s news coverage is superb, outshining all of the professional press coverage I have read of the DCSD school board’s firing of the superintendent without cause using questionable processes.” Another judge shared, “I have rarely seen an applicant with the clear record of success that Kira has compiled. She is smart, dedicated, and idealistic, but there is a feistiness about her that comes through as well.”

Her portfolio is being forwarded to the Journalism Education Association Student Journalist of the Year competition, where she will compete with winners from other states for the title of National Student Journalist of the Year. The winner and finalists will be announced at the conclusion of the virtual JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention. 

Runner up in the competition is Avery Hamel, senior at Rampart High School. Upon reviewing her portfolio, one judge mentioned, “Avery has certainly found her niche in the journalism world, a unique one since she focuses on data-driven sports analysis writing, and she has been very entrepreneurial in pursuing every opportunity to develop her skills and become published in that realm. Her sports personality features show a professional-level expertise far beyond what one would expect to find in a high school sports writer.” Avery will receive a $1500 scholarship.