2024 Greer Scholarship winners named

Rock Canyon, Grandview journalists take top honors in competition
Greer Scholarship winner Claire Bauer holds up a mic as she interviews a student on the Super Bowl results Feb. 13. Bauer interviewed students to create a compilation of reaction interviews.

Senior Claire Bauer at Rock Canyon High School was named the Colorado Student Media Association Dorothy Greer Scholarship winner for 2024. She will receive a $3,000 college scholarship as she moves on to her next endeavors. 

One judge wrote that “it’s basically impossible for any ONE student to find the time and energy to report and edit and lead at a high level in every one of the 11 areas JEA looks for. But Claire has definitely come darn close in everything… and without needing to ‘stretch’ her content to provide examples for each area. It all seems organic, and that is my final takeaway and one that convinces me that she can compete at the national level.”

Her portfolio is being forwarded to the Journalism Education Association Student Journalist of the Year competition, where she will compete with winners from other states for the title of National Student Journalist of the Year. The winner and finalists will be announced at the conclusion of the virtual JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention. 

Runner up in the competition is Evianna Hall, senior at Grandview High School, and she will receive a $1500 scholarship. Judges commented on the wide range of reporting and the photojournalism skills demonstrated in her portfolio.

Congratulations to our Dorothy Greer winner and runner-up.