J-Day registration is open

Oct. 1 is deadline to register is you need parking tags mailed to you. Buses do not need special parking tags

We will keep you updated on J-Day speakers and special events

Our theme is FEARless, and we plan to include sessions on covering diversity, taking on sensitive issues, and boldly exploring the still evolving worlds of social media and video. The first deadline for session submissions is Sept. 15, so we will begin sharing specifics on sessions and speakers after that date.

A great J-Day tradition is to honor our top two individual award winners during the Opening Ceremony, which begins at 8:45 a.m. on Oct. 20, in the Grand Ballroom of the Lory Student Center. You can get a quick introduction to our winners below, and you will get a chance to hear from them in person in October.

Two Douglas County educators to receive top awards

Celebrating a tradition of excellence in student media, the Colorado Student Media Association has selected Anastasia Harrison, yearbook adviser at Legend High School, as its 2016 Adviser of the Year.

Andrew Abner, principal of Rock Canyon High School, was chosen as the 2016 Administrator of the Year, acknowledging his continuous support of the media programs at the school and his encouragement of student free expression.

harrison_headshot
Anastasia Harrison, Legend HS – CSMA Adviser of the Year

Harrison is in her 12th year teaching English and advising publications, beginning her career at Ponderosa High School. After six years there, she moved to Legend, where she currently teaches Yearbook and Honors English II.

Her students have earned numerous state and national awards, and she has twice been a DCSD Apple Award nominee. She was named a Journalism Education Association Rising Star in 2011.

abner_andrew
Andrew Abner, Rock Canyon HS principal – CSMA Administrator of the Year

Abner is in his sixth year at Rock Canyon, following seven years as an administrator at Douglas County High School. A Chicago native, Abner began his teaching career in 1998 at Neuqua Valley High School in Illinois, and taught vocational education at Douglas County from 2002-2004.

Abner was named Outstanding First Year Teacher in 2000 for the state of Illinois, was named Staff Member of the Year twice at Douglas County, and has been nominated several times for the DCSD Apple Award.

Both Harrison and Abner will be honored during the opening ceremony of J-Day, the CSMA fall state conference, on Oct. 20. J-Day is hosted in the Lory Student Center on the campus of Colorado State University, and brings nearly 1,500 student journalists and their advisers together for a day of learning sessions and award presentations.

You can check out a complete listing of CSMA awards on our site, here.