Slate of candidates announced for 2013-15 officer elections

May 15, 2013 – Officer elections for CHSPA will take place this week, using SurveyMonkey. The election will close at 11:59 p.m. Monday, May 20. All current members may cast a ballot, and will receive them through their main email address. You may also access the online voting form by clicking here. 

CHSPA officers assume their duties on June 1, and serve for two years. The office of vice president is also president-elect. Past president will be Karen Wagner, completing her second year as president this month.

Candidates were asked to share their positions and any relevant biographical data, but only Adam Dawkins and Justin Daigle submitted any material to Nominations Chair Carrie Faust, MJE.

Statement from Adam Dawkins, running for Vice President/President-Elect
Adam Dawkins is in his fifth year advising newspaper and broadcast video at Regis Jesuit High School in Aurora. He is close to finishing his master’s degree in Journalism Education from Kent State University’s Journalism Educators graduate program. Adam has served on the board as Advocacy Coordinator since 2011. He developed and teaches the CHSPA Press Law and Ethics Certification Course, offered to advisers and administrators three times a year. He also co-teaches the CHSPA Summer Adviser Workshop. He is “all-in” when it comes to scholastic media and believes in the journalism curriculum’s powerful ability to teach real-world skills and help students to become responsible, caring, creative, and passionate young professionals.

Goals:

• Work with JEA to develop comprehensive journalism curriculum

• Help plan the JEA convention in Denver in 2015

• Develop a more robust summer adviser’s institute in Denver

• Continue to grow the Press Law and Ethics Certification Course and work for adviser protection in the state free expression law

• Continue the success of CHSPA’s “Winter Thaw” for advisers early each second semester

• Offer summer writing and media workshops for at-risk youth by seeking partnerships with city programs and non-profits

• Work with burgeoning HS broadcast video programs across the state to connect learning across campuses, districts, and communities

• Work with CHSAA to continue to develop policies and procedures that support scholastic media and perhaps include student media as an officially sponsored state activity

Statement from Justin Daigle, soon-to-be new CHSPA President

Justin Daigle has advised the Reflections Yearbook at Brighton High School for the past 7 years. His students’ publications have earned All-Colorado honors as well as several Best of Colorado awards from the Colorado High School Press Association. Nationally, his students have received All-American and Gold Medal ratings from NSPA and CSPA and have been highlighted in the NSPA Best of the High School Press and Herff Jones Ideas that Fly. Most recently, his staffs’ 2012 Yearbook was a Silver Crown winner from CSPA. As an adviser and teacher, Justin has been honored with the 2009 CHSPA Teacher of the Year, 2010 JEA Rising Star Award, and the 2012 Brighton High School Teacher of the Year. Justin has served as a yearbook judge for national and state press associations and has been a speaker and instructor at CHSPA Journalism Days, national conventions such as CSPA, and at the Rocky Mountain Journalism Spirit Camp. Justin has served the CHSPA board for 5 years as a Yearbook Sweepstakes Coordinator, Secretary, and Vice-President.

Goals: “As the next President of the Colorado High School Press Association, I hope to continue the excellence and legacy that this organization has brought to journalism teachers and students across the state. I will represent our state and organization at national conventions while making connections and building relationships with other state organizations. I plan to work with the elected board to see our organization continue to serve as a resource for advisers and students and develop new ways to serve programs across the state by offering more workshops, contests, and mentoring, particularly for those schools in our state that do not have the funds or resources to attend national conferences. Our board will continue to find innovative ways to create and share curriculum and instructional ideas that tie to our new state standards as well as the 21st century skills. Finally, I hope by the end of my term that our state is one step closer to (or has) implemented a journalism adviser protection bill as part of our Colorado Free Expression Law.”