Candidates for Board of Directors 2024-2026

CSMA elects half of its board members each year. Each seat has a two-year duration. This year, CSMA is electing Secretary, Education Coordinator, and Digital Media Coordinator. Current 2023-2024 members are eligible to vote April 18-25, 2024.

Secretary Candidates

Natalie Barnard, Mountain Vista HS

Biography

This is my 7th year as an advisor at Mountain Vista High School. I followed the GOAT of Mark Newton into my position and it has been a learning curve but I am proud of where we are and where we are going. I enjoy the fact that the students that come through the program are learning the importance of media literacy, the value of viewpoints and that many have continued on to journalism careers.

Goals

I have enjoyed the opportunity to be the interim secretary for these last few months. It has been really inspiring to work with my peers who have been so involved and are so knowledgeable, a learning experience for me. I look forward to continuing to learn and am excited for the change in location of J-Day and hope to be able to continue to help as that change evolves. I am also very excited about our conversations concerning advancing our footprint in middle schools for those students to be sooner introduced to the value of journalism.

Jeff O’Brien, Cheyenne Mountain HS

Biography

This is my 20th year as a Broadcasting, Film and Animation teacher. I am currently the Treasurer for Education Consortium of Colorado Springs. In the past I have been the President for five years which included Covid. I work with all the school districts in Colorado Springs, UCCS, Pikes Peak College, PPCC Library School District and Deaf and Blind School to create content for education channels. I have been on the board for various film festivals in Colorado Springs (Ifsoc) and now judge film festivals in my spare time as well. I love anything to do with creating video, film, and animation. Currently, we do a weekly show called am@cm https://www.youtube.com/@cmhs_amcm that is ran by students. We stream concerts, drama and anything the school district asks. In the past I have worked with Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, BET, and various televison shows as well as the Today show when they came to Colorado.

Goals

I want to be a part of an organization that helps students either show their content or learn the trade of media. I think the more students can work in the profession or have an outlet in high school the better.

Digital Media Coordinator Candidates

Karla Shotts, Englewood HS

Biography

I am writing to express my enthusiastic interest in the Digital Media Coordinator position at CSMA. With a passion for digital media and a strong background in communication and coordination, I am excited about the opportunity to contribute to promoting visibility, best practices, and effective communication among video broadcast and website programs throughout our state.

Throughout my career, I have consistently demonstrated my ability to leverage digital media platforms to drive engagement, enhance visibility, and facilitate meaningful communication. My experience in Broadcast Journalism has equipped me with the skills and insights necessary to excel in this role.

Goals

The prospect of establishing a committee dedicated to supporting online media is particularly appealing to me. I am eager to collaborate with stakeholders across various sectors to foster innovation, share best practices, and drive impactful initiatives in the digital media space.

Furthermore, I am committed to working closely with the Education, Advocacy, and Middle School Coordinators to ensure alignment and synergy across different areas of our state’s initiatives. By fostering collaboration and communication, I believe we can maximize the effectiveness and reach of our digital media efforts.

Contributing to workshops supporting digital media in all its forms is another aspect of the role that resonates deeply with me. I am passionate about empowering others with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in the digital landscape, and I am eager to contribute my expertise to shape the content and direction of these workshops.

In addition to my professional experience, I bring a collaborative mindset, strategic thinking, and a proactive approach to problem-solving. I am confident that my combination of skills, experience, and passion make me a strong candidate for the Digital Media Coordinator position.

Adam Dawkins, Regis Jesuit HS

Biography

Many years on the board from Advocacy Coordinator to President. Broadcast, Film, Magazine, Literary Magazine, and Sports Broadcasting adviser. CJE

Goals

Broadcast and video storytelling workshops, 48 hour film festival, partnerships with local media, Broadcast bootcamp for advisers, video production for promotion of CSMA.

Education Coordinator Candidates

No nominations. This role will be appointed.