SoCo Media Day welcomes record crowd to Pueblo

The Right Way to Write
Top general coverage story entry (ad hoc contest for those attending the Oct. 24, 2013 SoCo Media Day)
By Ashleigh Hollowell, Woodland Park HS
The nerds, the geeks, the students that always arrive at school before the crack of dawn and leave when the sun is setting, the ones constantly striving to obtain more information, Southern Colorado Media Day was their Mecca.
On Thursday, Oct. 24, 104 students (and 10 advisers) from schools across southern Colorado made the pilgrimage to Colorado State University-Pueblo to attend a journalism/yearbook workshop hosted by the Colorado High School Press Association (CHSPA).

Everything from ethics to, ironically, “stealing” was covered. The two rules of the day were to steal ideas and to not ever line people up against a wall for a picture.  Executive Director of CHSPA and Journalism Education Association (JEA) Past President Jack Kennedy even sang the First Amendment to the crowd.

The day was filled with multiple speakers who were all experts in various areas of media and offered advice and tips to the blossoming young journalists of southern Colorado.  One speaker in particular delivered captivating information that will undoubtedly stick with these students for the duration of their lives.

Bryan Kelsen, photojournalist for The Pueblo Chieftain, offered timeless advice on writing and photographing.  He presented tips on photographic logistics such as giving direction for taking sports photos and which sports should be photographed horizontally or vertically. Kelsen also enlightened the young photographers about environmental portraits. Interesting photos that use the background to tell what the person in the picture is doing, where they are, and who they are. All eyes were glued to the screen, watching the pictures transition from one to the next as Kelsen presented slideshows with hundreds of his own photos.

Each had a story to tell and captivated the audience causing them to ponder the details behind the photographs. As the curious students asked about how to improve their skills and take great pictures themselves, Kelsen grinned and said, “Always be ready for what’s going to be right in front of you. Being ready for those moments is what makes photojournalists.”

In the world of journalism, it is common that at one point a reporter will have to cover a story that is not exactly thrilling, such as city council meetings or school board meetings. Kelsen urged the journalists in those situations to think of it in a more positive light. “Just remember you are there for them,” he said. “You are there so your readers don’t have to be.”

He encouraged everyone to build strong relationships with the people around them. In addition to forming strong relationships, Kelsen urged to spend as much time and take as many opportunities as possible looking at and studying other journalist’s work because “It’s worth it to have those relationships down the road. They help you along the way.”

Perspective was also on Kelsen’s inspiration agenda. Perspective is everything in journalism. Taking a different angle on a traditional story will make people enthralled to read it, or never want to pick up a paper again. Even with a picture, lining people up against the wall get the job done, but not done with passion.

“In order to move forward, you must have passion for what your next step is.” insisted Kelsen.

As the slideshows came to an end and the final questions were answered, Kelsen left the aspiring journalists with: “If you can tell a story, you can make a difference.”

Thanks to Ashleigh for her story, as well as her tweets during the day. Check out her tweets by searching for #soco13