Register now for chance to quiz legislators, meet your reps

Capitol Hill Press Conference brings top student journalists to Old Supreme Court Chambers

The Capitol Hill Press Conference is about to celebrate its 23rd year, bringing some of the state’s top student journalists to the state capitol to meet legislators, hear from a professional journalist, and quiz two legislative leaders.

Registration check in is at 11 a.m., in the Old Supreme Court Chambers on the capitol’s second floor, but we hope attendees with make arrangements to visit the floor of the House or Senate, meeting their own elected representatives.

Nic Garcia, from Chalkbeat Colorado, will guide students through press conference procedures and help attendees develop strong questions for the press conference. Nic is a former Pueblo student journalist, and he is back for the second year to lead our opening session.

Rep. Paul Lundeen photo
Rep. Paul Lundeen

At noon, Rep. Paul Lundeen, a former Colorado Department of Education Board member and now District 19 state representative, will take questions from students (and there will be lots of opportunities for photographers and videographers)

Rep. Millie Hamner photo
Rep. Millie Hamner

At 12:35 p.m., Rep. Millie Hamner will join the event. She has served on the House education committee and is now a member of the Joint Budget Committee.

Following the press conference, students may participate in an on-the-spot writing competition, reporting on the day. Winners will earn certificates and their work will be featured on this website. Photographers and broadcast students will have until March 2 to submit their best work for judging.

Read about the history of this CHSPA event here.