What's Happening

Students display excellence in ‘Of The Year’ contests

Each year, CSMA recognizes strong student work through the “XXX of the Year” portfolio competitions, which encompass various areas of speciality: ReporterDesignerPhotographerBroadcast Journalist, and Middle School Journalist. This year’s candidates submitted portfolios by April 15. Those submissions were reviewed by top journalists and educators from across the nation. Winners were announced May 7.

Reporter of the Year
Zoey Perrine, Monarch HS

Portfolio

Judge’s comments:

Zoey Perrine is a powerful writer. Her stories grab the reader from the opening sentence, masterfully blending personal anecdotes, facts and quotes with her own skillful touch. Great transitions, sentence variety and word choice keep the reader engaged throughout. Both the beginning and end of “One person’s story” read like poetry.
And all of that great writing is built on solid reporting. The stories are fact-based with credible, varied sources. Even more importantly, Zoey connects big issues to people at her high school, so there is a clear reason for each story she and her team write.

Photographer of the Year
Emily Robertson, Liberty HS

Portfolio

Judge’s comments:

A really strong portfolio. Your photos demonstrate great technical skills. I think your exposures are all spot on in each image. The photos also capture great emotions and expressions. I especially like the celebration moment in “Spike it Down” and the quiet somberness of “When Time Stops.” You also do an amazing job with your captions. The amount of detail and inclusion of quotes really elevates the information you provide to your readers.

Middle School Journalist of the Year
Avis Qutub, Ranch View MS

Portfolio

Judge’s comments:

You are everything but typical, that’s for sure! Your portfolio was professional and thorough, and in particular you showcased strong photography with a variety of angles and distances. Great yearbook theme development verbally and visually in your divider and opening spreads. Your photo storytelling really captures the fun of events like the Hungry Hippos activity. Through your reflection and the enthusiastic letters of recommendation, it’s clear you have outstanding leadership and time management skills. You’re regarded by your peers as reliable and helpful, and your work ethic stands out on staff. Way to go! It’s impressive you can lead the yearbook staff as editor-in-chief while devoting time to basketball, track and theater at the same time, but you make it look easy.

Designer of the Year
Gabriella Polliard, Brighton HS

Portfolio

Judge’s comments:

Wow. Your execution of combining so many elements is flawless. From font combinations to design tools and colors, your designs are clean, creative and inviting. The thought process you shared is insightful and inspiring. Everything was executed with a plan and purpose.

Broadcast Journalist of the Year
Kaitlyn O’Keeffe, Rampart HS

Portfolio

Judge’s comments:

Outstanding work here, Kaitlyn. You have a really nice mix of video work here from really strong storytelling and voiceover work to a nice mix of feature and news stories. You have some really strong journalistic pieces here with some really great video work. So good to see strong sources  in your stories and good job of tackling some serious subjects professionally.