Former Alamosa principal recognized as Administrator of the Year

Erik Melgoza, former principal at Alamosa HS

Erik Melgoza, former principal of Alamosa High School, is the Colorado Student Media Association’s 2023 Administrator of the Year. Melgoza passed away unexpectedly in January 2023.

Melgoza saw media publications as essential to the school atmosphere–plus, they allowed students to explore skills in design, photography, communication and business.

“He came to our classes just to see what the students were working on and always gave them his honest opinion of their work,” said media adviser Nick Dionisio. “He built relationships that made us all want to never let him down.”

Digital media teacher Elona Medina also felt Melgoza was extremely supprotive.

“He was willing to listen and help to find solutions,” said Medina. “He was also the voice of reason, and didn’t always tell you what you wanted to hear, but he always backed up his concerns.”

Melgoza encouraged publication students to ensure others’ voices were heard, too. He encouraged students to shed light on important subjects and to think outside of the box. By doing so, he intended to give students all the recognition.

“He was a person who did not want the public eye on him,” said Dionisio. “I believe that recognizing him as the Administrator of the Year shows the love and appreciation we had for him. Without his constant support and dedication, we would not be the success that we are today.”

Note: This award is presented posthumously.