Colorado Student Media Association

CSMA

Colorado Student Media Association

CSMA

Colorado Student Media Association

CSMA

reTHINK created with student leaders and advisers in mind

And this summer marks 10 years challenging students to be their very best

reTHINK2015 continues as a sort of “think tank” for great coverage and presentation ideas, and now offers expanded opportunities for advisers attending the Summer Adviser Workshop to connect with students and the most cutting-edge ideas.

The workshop returns to Rock Canyon HS in Highlands Ranch, for its tenth year, June 8-11, and the registration deadline is June 1. You can find the registration form here, and all current members of CHSPA should have received a combination flyer for reTHINK and SAW in the mail or you can find the flyer for reTHINK and SAW here.

The workshop’s website is here, and contains much more information on the types of information and inspiration you and your students can expect from spending a little over three days focusing on student media.

The workshop will emphasize finding ways to give readers more choices, more information, and more media “convergence.” Workshop leaders focus on print yearbooks and newsmagazines, but also take a look at how social media, video and websites can expand coverage and readership.

Attendees are expected to have at least a working knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop (all need a digital camera of some type, though smart phones are sufficient for most purposes), and WordPress, if they want to explore online options. Also, staffs are encouraged to have a working domain and have WordPress installed prior to arriving at the workshop. The workshop will provide a generic WordPress site as an alternative, just to practice skills.

Lunch and snacks are provided each day, Tuesday through Thursday. Windows and Apple computer labs will be available, and you may bring your own laptops, with wireless access.

The cost is again $150 per participant, which continues to be the best bargain out there.

The Workshop Team
Our team has developed this workshop over the past decade, and we think our tenth edition will be the best yet.

Mark Newton, MJE, advises the converged VISTAj media program at Mountain Vista HS. He previously built progressive and much-lauded program at Grand Junction HS. He is president of the Journalism Education Association.

Carrie Faust, MJE, advises the Summit yearbook and NEXT magazine/website at Smoky Hill HS. Summit was named Best of Show at the recent Denver national journalism convention, and the 2014 book was a National Pacemaker. Carrie is a Regional Director for JEA.

Kristi Rathbun, CJE, advises the Black & Gold yearbook at Rock Canyon HS. The 2014 book won third place Best of Show in April and was a finalist for a Pacemaker. She is JEA state director for Colorado.

Jack Kennedy, MJE, advised newspaper and yearbook in Iowa and Colorado for 30 years prior to leaving the high school classroom. He is the Colorado Student Media Association executive director and now teaches college writing.

If June doesn’t work for you and your students, and if you need a late summer refresher… or if you want to combine reTHINK in June with a skills workshop in early August
reTHINK offers a two-day crash course in media technology and staff organization, Aug. 3-4. Cost is $50 per day per person. For schools attending our June 8-11 workshop, the daily cost is only $40 per person!

Held at Mountain Vista HS, in Highlands Ranch, choose from this menu:
Aug. 3 OR Aug. 4 (Monday OR Tuesday)
Half-day workshops
Photo management and editing (afternoon only)
Staff organization and calendar (morning only)
Writing & Editing crash course (both sessions)

Aug. 3 OR Aug. 4 (Monday OR Tuesday)
Full-day workshops
Intro to Photojournalism + Photoshop basics
InDesign basics

Aug. 3 AND Aug. 4 (Monday AND Tuesday)
Two-day workshop
Video for your news site

So for $100 per person ($80 for schools attending reTHINK2015 June 8-11) you can provide your editors, new staff, or just you as adviser a jump start on the new school year, learning from experts who promise a hands-on experience, plus continuing support as the school year begins. And you can do all that in two days!

Will that be all you need to learn to excel in 2015-16? Of course not. But everyone involved will be that much further along in producing the best year yet in student media at your school.

Contact Jack Kennedy by July 15 with your questions, interests, including workshop choices,
and numbers for each workshop.

Email him at [email protected] or call 303-550-4755.