Colorado Student Media Association

CSMA

Colorado Student Media Association

CSMA

Colorado Student Media Association

CSMA

J-Day program up – start planning your day

J-Day program up - start planning your day

Due to file size, the J-Day program (the final program will be an 11×17 tab) can be accessed in two parts, pages 1-4 and pages 5-8. A couple ads have been dropped from this version.

As of Oct. 8, we have nearly 90 advisers and over 1,380 students registered. If you have registered, you should have received an email with final details on Friday, Oct. 7.  But, just in case, that message is pasted here:

1. Best of Show has been expanded. Check out the instructions in the Best of Show attachment. Yearbook has some big changes, and we have a first-ever online publication contest. There are no entry fees beyond your registrations. All the paperwork for Best of Show happens right at the registration desk. Just bring your submissions and we will get you signed up quickly.

2. There is plenty of space for bus parking, near Mobey Arena. A campus map is attached.
3. The entire conference program will be online Monday on www.chspaonline.org, but attached is a list of sessions at a glance. We have so many great offerings that our suggestion is to pre-assign sessions for your students, so you gather as much information as possible. We have three featured speakers, all of whom are presenting all three sessions, and they are in larger rooms. Occasionally a session fills up, so it’s a great idea for each student to have options in case there is no space in their first choice.
4. Some students and advisers may want to spend one session slot touring either Rocky Mountain Student Media or the campus TV station (which includes some hands-on opportunities in the studio). RMSM tours begin on the lower level of Lory, right in front of the Collegian offices. CTV tours begin at the elevator on the upper level of Lory.
5. We love to have publications exchange with other schools at J-Day. If you can bring a pile of papers or a few extra yearbooks, we will have several tables near the registration desk. The exchanges are informal, so just drop off your materials when you arrive on Thursday.
6. A number of students and teachers are taking advantage of the special rates at the Fort Collins Hilton for Wednesday night, and there may be rooms still available (the link is at the top of our website). Another option is to contact Comfort Inn, using this link to get to a special offer for CHSPA J-Day attendees: http://www.comfortinn.com/ires/en-US/html/ArrivalInfo?hotel=CO109&srp=LGOOGL
7. If you ordered parking passes, those were mailed Tuesday and Wednesday. Look for them in your school mailbox.
8. The awards assembly will finish off the day, beginning with certificates for all school media that participated in our All-Colorado critique service. You should have received an electronic copy of your critique. It should be fun to all be together to celebrate one another during this final session, and we guarantee that every school medium that entered will go home with a certificate. Schools unable to stay for the awards assembly will receive their certificates in the mail. The awards will finish with the Best of Show announcements.
9. We have lunch for all advisers and our honored guests in the North Ballroom at noon. Please plan to attend. Not only will Lory Catering be providing a terrific buffet, but CHSPA President Karen Wagner will also conduct a streamlined general membership meeting once we are done eating. The advising community of Colorado rarely gets together, but this luncheon hopes to change that. You will also get to meet our board members, our new Medal of Merit honorees (Darryl Stafford and Yvette Roberts) and our Friend of Scholastic Journalism (Pam Shepard). NOTE: If you have special dietary needs, please let me know ASAP so we can meet those needs.
Finally, I am sending this to the primary email address listed on your J-Day registration form. So please feel free to forward this message to any of your journalism colleagues in the building.