Capitol Hill Press Conferences returns on Valentine’s Day

You will find the registration form for the Capitol Hill Press Conference, held in the Old Supreme Court Chambers of the State Capitol on Feb. 14, 2014 here.

The event has been moved a bit later in the day this year, to accommodate legislator schedules. We begin at 11 a.m., hearing from a professional about legislative issues and press conference protocol. We regret to note that the governor is unable to join us this year, due to a scheduling conflict, but students will meet several legislative leaders and have a chance to question them about items of interest to Colorado students.

This is a CHSPA-member-only event, with a limit of two students per member medium allowed (plus advisers). There is no cost, and it’s a great opportunity to not only meet state government leaders but to spend some time meeting with your local state senator or representative.

The “on-the-spot” writing contest returns this year. Participants will be given a 90-minute block of time to compose a news feature about the day at the Capitol and entries will be judged by a professional journalist. This is an option, not a requirement, for attendance.

Rules & Etiquette
1. Dress in business attire: slacks with collared shirts and appropriate-length skirts with non-revealing tops; no jeans.
2. Turn off cell phones.
3. No food or drinks are allowed in the Old Supreme Court Chambers.
4. Photographers are free (actually, encouraged) to move around the chambers during the conference, but avoid getting between the speakers and the students to whom they are speaking.
5. You should be familiar with education issues currently being discussed in the Colorado legislature and other hot topics as well as whether the senators have dealt with those issues prior to the press conference.
6. Raise your hand to ask a question. When the presenter calls on you, stand up, clearly tell him your name and what school you are from, and then ask your question. Speak loudly so everyone can hear your question. Once your question is asked you may sit down so you can take notes.
7. Only students may ask questions.

Posing Questions at a Press Conference (from Poynter.org)
1. Prepare your questions in advance.
2. Ask open-ended questions. Questions that start with how, why or what, or encourage an explanation have a better chance to provoke a complete response.
3. One question at a time. Don’t combine two or more questions.
4. Listen to all questions asked by other students and the answers given. You may not get the chance to ask your question and may have to write from the answers given to other reporters. Also, you do not want to be repetitive in asking similar questions to ones already posed.

Press Conference Writing Tips
Questions reporters ask at a press conference are often more important than the prepared statement the speaker makes. Answers to those questions are an important part of the story.

The following are pieces of information that every press conference story should answer:
1. The person who conducted the interview.
2. The reason for the press conference and background.
3. Highlights of the news, including responses to the questions.
4. Location when relevant.
The answers are incorporated into the story but without reference to the question. So, “When asked about …” or “In response to a question …” should be avoided.
Source: Carole Rich, University of Alaska, Anchorage

What to Bring
1. Your prepared questions. Outside research should be limited to general information that helps you become familiar with issues to prepare your questions; we want everyone to write with the same information – gathered at the press conference.
2. Laptop computer, fully charged. There are only limited plug-ins in the chamber. It is acceptable to write stories by hand if you prefer.
3. CD or thumb drive to save your story to. If you don’t bring a computer, please write neatly by hand.
4. Note paper and pens/pencils.
5. Still camera.
6. Video equipment, as well as microphones for video teams. Lighting in the Old Supreme Court Chambers will be behind the speakers so you may want to bring lights.

The Contests
Students in print media will be allotted 90 minutes – immediately following the press conference – to create a journalistic piece to be entered into the CHPC Contests. Students in video may use the time for shooting additional footage, planning, etc. Background gleaned from question preparation may be included, but all footage for videos should come from the day of CHPC. No adviser assistance is allowed once students begin production.

Rules for News Feature Writing Contest
1. Each school print medium is allowed one entry; two or more students may collaborate.
2. After a brief recess, and without adviser contact, students will have 90 minutes to compose stories.
3. Hard copies, a CD, or a thumb drive must be submitted at the end of the allotted time.
4. The winners will be notified through their adviser.
5. CHSPA will print the top stories on its website.

Rules for Video Contest
1. Production crews will be allowed to record the conference. Participants may shoot support video around the capitol during the 90-minute contest period.
2. Video media clips may not exceed three minutes once complete, and links to wherever the video is posted (YouTube, Vimeo, school website, etc.) must be emailed to [email protected] by 9 p.m. Feb. 18.
3. CHSPA will post the top video entry links to its website.

Judging
Each contest entry – for both contests – will be evaluated by professional journalists who work at Colorado newspapers, television stations or online media outlets. Final winners will be determined by CHSPA Board members who have extensive experience in either video media or print publication, based exclusively on the judges’ input.