Advocacy Coordinator

We have two candidates for this position

May 2, 2017

Shaun Martin: Born in Aurora, raised in Lakewood – I am Colorado to the bone.  After high school, I went to Metro and majored in History and English (writing). I have taught English and Social Studies at Castle View High School the past five years.  My foray into media came by way of necessity: I was “voluntold” to take over the broadcast journalism class. Through learning the craft (and staying one lesson ahead of the kids), I fell in love with video and video editing. From there, I advised a broadcast and many film groups in a less-than-traditional program within CV’s walls.

Of course, there have been more than a few run-ins with administration. I have therefore become increasingly more passionate (and decidedly more vocal) about First Amendment issues, specifically regarding student journalism. And as I find this passion’s deterioration unlikely, it only seems fitting to expand it through more official channels.

Candidate Statement
My goals for my time in the Advocacy Coordinator position and for the CSMA are one and the same: maintaining truth in journalism.

There seems to be an almost coordinated effort to stymie the voices of journalists and truthtellers. And because this effort comes from positions of power, there is a need for protectors of our right to speak to truth – now more than ever.  It is within this context that I would aim:

• to strengthen our relationship with the ACLU and SPLC – legal support is paramount;
  • to update the First Amendment protocols – the rules have changed, so our response must too;
  • to diversify relationships with professional organizations – to gain more insight into the real-world ramifications of dynamic First Amendment issues, and better prepare our journalists for the fights the will inevitably have to fight both in the near and far future.

Kristi Rathbun, CJE advises The Black & Gold yearbook, The Rock student newspaper and rockmediaonline at Rock Canyon High School in Highlands Ranch, CO.  For over 20 years, she has helped journalists achieve state and national success in student media. Her students have earned All-Colorado Awards from Colorado Student Media Association, Crown and Gold Medalist recognition from CSPA, Pacemaker and All-American recognition from NSPA and a number of Best of Show honors at national and state conferences.

Rathbun speaks at national and state conventions and workshops helping students and their advisers build solid programs in multiple media platforms. Rathbun currently serves as the CSMA Advocacy Coordinator and Colorado JEA State Director; she was selected as a JEA Distinguished Adviser in 2014 and received a CSPA Gold Key in 2016.

Candidate Statement
My hope is to be a resource for anyone needing assistance with First Amendment issues — whether by the push of a ‘panic button’ or the need for education or training. I am a firm believer in proactivity and think that by distributing regular ‘snippets’ of First Amendment facts and scenarios, we can better prepare our student media core to demonstrate confident professionalism. Empowering advisers and students through knowledge of the law in Colorado and helping them build positive relationships with their communities — from students and staff to administration and advertisers — is a priority for this position. As Advocacy Coordinator, I hope to be an advocate for anyone in need and to help others become strong advocates for themselves.

CSMA • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in