Sharing with legislators… and each other

Capitol Hill Press Conference participants question top education leader and some find time to bond with one another

Feb. 14, 2014  Denver

State Senator Michael Johnston (Dem, Denver, District 33) was the featured guest for the CHSPA Capitol Hill Press Conference, held in the Senate Hearing Room of the capitol. Forty student journalists from 12 schools participated in the day, and many of them started their reporting long before the senator began his remarks at noon. Some arranged to be the guests on the floor of the House or Senate by contacting their local legislators. Others simply enjoyed roaming the ornate halls and observing floor work from the visitor galleries.

Garcia shares advice for best reporting
The event officially began with remarks from Nicholas Garcia, a reporter for Chalkbeat.org, a non-profit online news organization with a K-12 focus on education. Garcia said that the Chalkbeat model of “deep niche reporting,” with a particular focus on low-performing, low-income schools, was the future of journalism.

He got into detailed advice for student journalists right away. He shared a Twitter hashtag that many interested in education in the state follow (#edcolo), and recommended www.schoolview.com as a great source for all sorts of data on everything from tests scores to ELL percentages to free and reduced lunch numbers.

Garcia, who began his journalism career as a high school student who “haunted” Pueblo school board meetings, also shared some advice for reporting. The first question to ask, he said, is “how do you spell your name?” He recommended being prepared, but to also be flexible in responding to what the speaker says. He emphasized that if you don’t understand something a source says, not to hesitate to ask for clarification. He also advocated listening, and allowing time between questions, giving sources room to talk.

Top legislative education expert combines policies with the personal
State Senator Michael Johnston joined the event directly after floor work for the day ended, and he and the student reporters began tentatively. Johnston talked about the various problems Colorado education faces, including the largest gap in the nation between Hispanic and white test scores, and gaps in Advanced Placement opportunities. He said we have “both an equity and an excellence problem,” which is why he has proposed various laws, some successful and some rejected.

Students quizzed him on Senate Bill 191, which remains controversial among many teachers, and which is known as the “teacher effectiveness bill.” Johnston emphasized the importance of local control in actually putting the goals of the bill into practice. He discussed the difference between where a school is (status) and describing change (growth) and how that is the fairest way to assess teacher and student performance.

Johnston also challenged students to become more engaged in all areas of education legislation. In response to a question about how that can happen, when there is so much apathy among citizens about government, he said the legislature could bring more engagement by “doing more things that matter.”

He also discussed the looming problem of how to encourage students to enter the teaching profession (Johnston is a former English teacher and high school principal), and the importance of retaining great teachers.

Writing on the spot
The press conference wrapped up about 1:15 p.m., and participants were invited to write a news feature or commentary by 3 p.m. Photographers and videographers were also invited to compile coverage of the day, though they had some extra time to submit their work.

Honorees:
News Feature Writing
1st place – Madeline Zann, Emily Anderson, and Noel Knostman, Rocky Mountain HS
2nd place – Ashley Hopko, Conifer HS
3rd place – Maggie Hurlbut, Arapahoe HS

Commentary Writing
1st place – Chaye Gutierrez and Sabrina Pacha, Standley Lake HS

Photojournalism
Forrest Czarnecki, Conifer HS (his photos are featured above in the slideshow).