CSMA is proud of our partners

downloads-logos-web-png-ram-csu_lnr_555_1255We are partners with several state and national organizations that stand with us in supporting student media and student free expression. Our most visible academic partners are Colorado State University and the Department of Media Communication, which are Lead Sponsors of our annual J-Day conference, held in the Lory Student Center on the campus of CSU each October.

Boulder FL vertical B

We are glad to be building our partnership with the University of Colorado Boulder and the College of Media, Communication and Information. CCMI co-sponsored our Winter Thaw, a professional development day for advisers, this year in the University Memorial Center on campus.

Over the years, CSMA has also developed a number of additional partnerships:

Colorado Freedom of Information CouncilCFOIC_newcolors270
You can find them online here

What CFOIC does:

• Promotes freedom of the press, open government records and open courts
  • Educates the public and targeted audiences about FOI issues and rights
  • Provides news and perspectives on open-government issues
  • Monitors open meetings/open records violations
  • Tracks Colorado legislation affecting the flow of information and government transparency
  • Helps journalists and the general public with access problems

CPA 2015_member_and_innovation_award_logo-CDColorado Press Association
You can find CPA online here. The state’s professional journalism association has been a long-time partner of CSMA, sponsoring contests in the past and now helping us with speakers for our conferences.

The Colorado Press Association is the Colorado trade association dedicated to the preservation, progression and modernization of the state’s newspaper industry. They are passionate about the importance of the press and the need to provide news and information across all platforms in a responsible, accurate and ethical way.

SPLC_logo_blue2-300x300

Student Press Law Center
Your best friend in student media is SPLC, and you can find them online here.

The Student Press Law Center is an advocate for student First Amendment rights, for freedom of online speech, and for open government on campus. The SPLC provides information, training and legal assistance at no charge to student journalists and the educators who work with them.

SPJ Colorado Pro logoSPJ Colorado Pro Chapter
You can find our state’s chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists online here.

Colorado Pro Chapter’s mission is to promote the association of journalists in Colorado; to further the ethics and ideals of the profession; to advance, develop and formally recognize higher standards of journalism; to stimulate social and intellectual exchange between members of the press; to raise public awareness of the profession; to promote the development of future journalists from the ranks of high school and college students; and to promote the spirit of fellowship among journalists and civic responsibility to the community.

The Colorado chapter achieves these goals by organizing monthly mixers, programming where experienced journalists teach their craft to others, forums where members of the press share their thoughts and an annual contest that recognizes excellence in the field.

Journalism Education AssociationJEA_4c
You can find the JEA website here. CSMA is an associate member of this national association, which costs $100 per year. Each year approximately 40 Colorado advisers pay their annual JEA dues through us, part of the CSMA membership process. Denver has hosted spring national conventions (co-sponsored by JEA and our friends at NSPA) three times: 1992, 2007, and 2015.

The Journalism Education Association supports free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities, by promoting professionalism, by encouraging and rewarding student excellence and teacher achievement, and by fostering an atmosphere which encompasses diversity yet builds unity.

PrintAmerican Civil Liberties Union – Colorado
You can find the our ACLU chapter online here.

The ACLU of Colorado is the state’s oldest and largest civil rights organization. It is a private institution funded exclusively by the generous donations of our supporters. Our mission is to protect, defend and extend the civil rights and civil liberties of all people in Colorado through litigation, education and advocacy. Here’s how their staff fights for your rights, and the rights of all Coloradans, in each of these three arenas:

Litigation & Legal Advocacy
The legal department writes letters, talks to government agencies and, if necessary, files lawsuits on behalf of clients whose rights have been violated. With only three full-time attorneys on staff, they must be very selective in the cases they choose. They receive approximately 10,000 requests for assistance each year, and litigate 50-70 cases with the assistance of approximately 100 volunteer cooperating attorneys.

Public Policy & Legislation
At the state capitol and at city council meetings across Colorado, the ACLU advocates for rational laws that protect people’s rights and liberties. And after each session, they develop Legislative Scorecards so you can see how your elected officials voted on civil liberties.

Public Education
The more you know about your rights, the harder it is for the government–or anyone else–to take them from you. The ACLU engages and informs Coloradans through public forums on current civil liberties issues, “Know Your Rights” trainings, rallies and media events. They also work with students and young professionals who are interested in civil liberties.

Colorado Broadcasters Association

Formed in 1949 as a non-profit trade organization, the Colorado Broadcasters Association (CBA) has a long history of service to broadcasters and citizens of the state.

Over the years the CBA has provided thousands of dollars for college scholarships, worked to provide public media access to the courts and fought to open public records. Among its many activities the CBA is probably best known for its annual “Awards Of Excellence,” which honor broadcasters’ service to their communities.

Representing broadcasters, both public and private, the association interacts with state and national officials and trade groups to further the business of broadcasting.

The CBA is administered by a thirteen-member Board of Directors and a President/CEO. The board consists of twelve active broadcasters and a representative from the Associate Member ranks. Board Members are elected for a period of three years. Officers are elected from the sitting board.

Its mission, beginning in those early days in 1949, was to “build a stronger broadcast industry.” It remains so today.