Greer, Benson Scholarship winners named

Standley Lake editor honored with top award
SONY+DSC
SONY DSC
Greer Scholarship Winner Esteban Arellano, from Standley Lake HS.

Three outstanding senior journalists earned college scholarships in CSMA’s annual Dorothy Greer and Eric Benson scholarship competitions.

Our Greer winner (also known as the Colorado Student Journalist of the Year) is Esteban Arellano, from Standley Lake HS. This is a $2,000 award if attending a Colorado university. Esteban’s portfolio has been submitted to the Journalism Education Association for their High School Journalist of the Year competition, the results of which will be announced during the Seattle Spring National Journalism Convention, April 6-10.

Some comments from judges on the selection committee: fine storyteller/writer; superior writing voice; top transcript; skilled designer. Esteban”s portfolio may have lacked some breadth breadth of media experience, but the quality is compelling. If they were not part of what I knew to be a high school portfolio, I would think them the work of a professional journalist. To be honest, I’ve read his work before. It was referenced in the reports of the Columbine Courier newspaper during the Jeffco school board recall. It was linked to in the private Facebook group opposing the reform school board members. I was greatly impressed then, as I am now.

Conner Davis, Mountain Vista HS

Runner up for the Greer is Conner Davis, from Mountain Vista HS. This is a $1,000 award. Conner’s fine portfolio can be found here.

Some comments from judges on the selection committee on Conner: WOW! He has such a depth and breadth of top quality, professional content. His work rivals any I see on a daily basis. The photojournalism is impressive; the fact that he has achieved success and set a standard for online, print and video; his leadership capabilities; his dedication to telling stories in as many formats as come his way — I got lost in his portfolio because of it. Conner has a solid package, and his varied products are clearly good ones, and rank him at the top of high school journalists. Superior breadth and depth of portfolio; top multi-media skills; best photographer; solid writer.

Samantha Wexler, Monarch HS

The Eric Benson Scholarship goes to Samantha Wexler, from Monarch HS. This is also a $1,000 award, funded by the Benson family. A portfolio of Samantha’s excellent work is here.

Some comments from judges on the selection committee on Samantha: Strong transcript; glowing letters; seemingly an overall hard-working student journalist. Excellent depth/breadth in her portfolio.