Summer Adviser Workshop offers professional development along with survival skills

CSMA’s signature adviser workshop returns, paired with reTHINK to provide a menu of options for all ranges of experience

Whether you are interested in survival or revival, you will find what you need at SAW June 8-11.

Download the interactive registration PDF here. Be sure to register by June 1 to assure your place.

Take the CJE or MJE exam. Are you a JEA member with a journalism degree and/or the experience you need to be recognized as a professional media educator? CSMA Executive Director Jack Kennedy, MJE will offer a chance to take the CJE or MJE examination, without attending a national convention, Monday, June 8, from 9 a.m. until noon. Important: You must contact JEA to register and pay for the test at least two weeks prior to the workshop so materials will be available.

FACILITIES Rock Canyon High School, 5810 McArthur Ranch Road, Highlands Ranch CO 80124. This 12-year-old building is located at the southern end of Quebec Street, about 3 miles south of Park Meadows Mall. No matter the direction you are coming from, the most efficient route is to take C470 and exit at Quebec. Then drive south until you see the school on your right. Rock Canyon is fully air-conditioned and fully accessible. All classrooms and labs to be used are all in one wing of the school, and approximately 60 computers running Adobe Creative Suite will be available in two computer labs (both Windows and Mac). Please bring a digital camera to use during the workshop.

You are encouraged to bring your own laptop computers and fonts, but we will not be able to hook your machine to our network. Wireless is available. PDFs of pages may be loaded onto our system for printing. We recommend USB flash drives for transferring files. Our basic font package is the one that ships with Creative Suite.

This is a commuter camp, so if you need to stay overnight, you will need to make your own arrangements. We will send you a list of local hotels offering special rates after you register. Lunch and snacks are provided each day, but no evening meals are provided.

SAW will feature a faculty of Colorado Student Media Association board members and will provide instruction in class organization, advising philosophy, grading methods, professional support options, multimedia basics and hands-on training, and teaching writing & reporting. Advisers will also be able to choose from a menu of 50-minute sessions (part of reTHINK) which touch on all aspects of student media.

All SAW participants will participate in our Press Law & Ethics Quick Course, which can lead to earning one hour of graduate credit from Adams State.