Best of Show yearbook winners

Best of Show Yearbook – Photojournalism / Each publication entered three photos plus captions from the 2017 book

3A/4A Yearbook Best of Show
1st place – Eaton HS Eatonian (see their 3-photo portfolio below)
2nd place – Rocky Heights MS The Nighthawk (on ISSUU)
3rd place – Rampart HS Rampages
Honorable Mention – Conifer HS Canis Lupus

5A Yearbook Best of Show
1st place – Rock Canyon HS The Black & Gold (see 3-photo portfolio below)
2nd place – Smoky Hill HS Summit (see 3-photo portfolio below)
3rd place – Castle View HS Vieo
Honorable Mention – Legend HS Epic
Honorable Mention – Brighton HS Reflections

Note that the captions in the sample images below are every bit as terrific as the images they expand upon. The include mini-headlines, a first sentence that answers many of the 5Ws and H questions about the photo, and then additional material that adds context (often including direct quotes).

eaton-1
1st place – 3A/4A schools – Eaton HS Eatonian                                                     AFFECTION FOR DISSECTION Human Anatomy and Physiology students, seniors Merceydes Gomez and Elias Munoz gape at the piglets on their lab table awaiting dissection. When she began the project, Gomez explained, “I was kind of like nervous because I had never dissected anything before, but I loved it.” Being an aspiring plastic surgeon, Gomez takes this class very seriously. She said, “This is definitely my favorite class; I love cutting things up!” Molly Maguire, the Anatomy teacher, shares the same enthusiasm. “I love all my classes… but I especially love anatomy because of the reactions,” she said. Students at the school typically know what they are getting into when enlisting for this class, although some have trouble processing certain aspects. Munoz explained, “I felt some type of emotion when I saw the baby pigs and didn’t want to do anything to it. I could even smell it, which made my eyes water.” Maguire loves how she and the students “get all excited and nerdy together.” Photo by Hannah Cooper.
eaton-3
1st place – 3A/4A schools – Eaton HS Eatonian                                                     GRAB YOUR EXIT BUDDY At a Tuesday night volleyball game versus Estes Park, student section participants engage in the customary “roller coaster” chant led by Anders Swanbom (17). The Eaton Reds won the first of three sets, and to fill the time between sets, Swanbom wailed, “DOES EVERYONE HAVE THEIR EXIT BUDDY?!” as the students “strapped in.” Screams of laughter shook the bleachers as the roller coaster went bonkers, hands and feet flying. Swanbom was a regular at volleyball games all season. He admitted to being there with friends to “have a little fun ourselves, but at the end of the day, we’re there to cheer on our volleyball team and help them win.” As reported by varsity player Isabel Noonan (17), the student section does just that. Noonan said, “It’s cool to know that someone wants to support us; that’s a huge confidence-lifter for our team.” The student-section-volleyball- talent combo inspired complete confidence in student fans. According to fellow student section leader, Peyton Jacobson (17), “With volleyball being so good (I mean, not to jinx it), we’re pretty much guaranteed a state championship this year. That makes it easier to just sit back and encourage kids to really get involved in our team because we’re good, man.” Photo by Jayde Contreras.

eaton-2
1st place – 3A/4A schools – Eaton HS Eatonian                                                     BIG CLEATS TO FILL In the heat of the summer, football players Ariel Rodriguez (11) and Ty Garnhart (10) help a young player in heads-on lineman drills at the first-held football Youth Camp. “It was to show the actual experience of what it’s like to be on a high school team,” Rodriguez said, adding, “It’s so the kids have something to look forward to.” The camp consisted of different stations for the kids to try during the three days–anything from offensive blocking to lineman work. Each high school player mentored 10 kids through each session. Coach Lemon introduced programs like the Youth Camp to build community relationships and motivate character growth. Lemon said, “As the season goes on, you start focusing on games each week, and you start to forget some of those important things outside of football.” Dee Dee Garnhart, Ty Garnhart’s mother feels, “This is a good event because it teaches him [Ty] how to be a leader. The Youth Camp is making him grow and be a better person, too. They [the younger kids] are the future of the program, and we need to help them in any way we can.” Photo by Jayde Contreras.

Fans Fuel Football Hopes In an upset of Seussical proportions, the sophomore powder puff team beat the junior in the final game of the Homecoming flag football tournament Sept. 30. Juniors Katie Offutt, Anne Stoller, Cameron Weber and Alayna Rivera shouted support to represent their class. “It got super intense during the end of the games because everybody was doing their best to pump their team and class up,” Stoller said. “We were all trying to be the loudest we possibly could, together, it let us bond as a class.”
1st place – 5A schools – Rock Canyon HS The Black & Gold                        Fans Fuel Football Hopes
In an upset of Seussical proportions, the sophomore powder puff team beat the junior in the final game of the Homecoming flag football tournament Sept. 30. Juniors Katie Offutt, Anne Stoller, Cameron Weber and Alayna Rivera shouted support to represent their class. “It got super intense during the end of the games because everybody was doing their best to pump their team and class up,” Stoller said. “We were all trying to be the loudest we possibly could, together, it let us bond as a class.”

Sideline Sillhouette Rockmedia photographer Heidi Zeh checks settings on her camera during the Powder Puff game Sept. 30 to take advantage of the sunset lighting on the sidelines. “Standing on the sidelines gives me a front row seat to see every touchdown and all of the player’s emotions and experience games with a different perspective than I would have to opportunity to if I were in the stands,” Zeh said. “I’ll never be a football player or an actress in the school play but photographing allows me to still grasp that similar experience and feel a part of the moment.”
1st place – 5A schools – Rock Canyon HS The Black & Gold                         Sideline Sillhouette
Rockmedia photographer Heidi Zeh checks settings on her camera during the Powder Puff game Sept. 30 to take advantage of the sunset lighting on the sidelines. “Standing on the sidelines gives me a front row seat to see every touchdown and all of the player’s emotions and experience games with a different perspective than I would have to opportunity to if I were in the stands,” Zeh said. “I’ll never be a football player or an actress in the school play but photographing allows me to still grasp that similar experience and feel a part of the moment.”
Volleyball Sweeps Warriors and Slams Stress During the first home volleyball game Lacy Zadra ’17, explodes off the floor to block to end the point against Arapahoe Sept. 25. The Lady Jaguars swept the match against the Warriors – a first in program history. “I love playing volleyball and I wouldn’t give it up for the world,” Zadra said. “When life gets hard and stressful I know I always have volleyball to help clear my mind.”
1st place – 5A schools – Rock Canyon HS The Black & Gold                         Volleyball Sweeps Warriors and Slams Stress
During the first home volleyball game Lacy Zadra ’17, explodes off the floor to block to end the point against Arapahoe Sept. 25. The Lady Jaguars swept the match against the Warriors – a first in program history. “I love playing volleyball and I wouldn’t give it up for the world,” Zadra said. “When life gets hard and stressful I know I always have volleyball to help clear my mind.”

PRAYING FIVE TIMES A DAY Being exposed to Islamic beliefs when she was young, Reyann Hamideh continues to follow the religion of Islam and considers it a part of her identity. “Our Holy book is the Qur’an, I try to live by what it tells us, like always represent myself and my religion in a good positive manner,” Hamideh said. Photo by Amanda Lather
2nd place – 5A schools – Smoky Hill HS Summit                                                 PRAYING FIVE TIMES A DAY Being exposed to Islamic beliefs when she was young, Reyann Hamideh continues to follow the religion of Islam and considers it a part of her identity. “Our Holy book is the Qur’an, I try to live by what it tells us, like always represent myself and my religion in a good positive manner,” Hamideh said. Photo by Amanda Lather
STRETCH IT OUT At the last football game of his high school career, Stephon Bennett, stretches before he gets on the field. “I was excited because it’s the first game we played at Stutler Bowl and I’m a senior now, so it’s my last year being able to play on the high school football team,” said Bennett. Photo by Aidan Hicks
2nd place – 5A schools – Smoky Hill HS Summit                                                 STRETCH IT OUT At the last football game of his high school career, Stephon Bennett, stretches before he gets on the field. “I was excited because it’s the first game we played at Stutler Bowl and I’m a senior now, so it’s my last year being able to play on the high school football team,” said Bennett. Photo by Aidan Hicks
SCHOOL IS COOL Senior class president, Abigail Moffit, sings with her fellow Student Government members. “All Student Government members just arrive to school early and hold posters and sing upbeat music to get the student body excited to be at school and brighten up their mornings. My favorite part is getting to be goofy with it and having the ability to take something that’s supposed to be gloomy and turn it into an energetic fun loving thing,” Moffit said. Photo by Emily Wise
2nd place – 5A schools – Smoky Hill HS Summit                                         SCHOOL IS COOL Senior class president, Abigail Moffit, sings with her fellow Student Government members. “All Student Government members just arrive to school early and hold posters and sing upbeat music to get the student body excited to be at school and brighten up their mornings. My favorite part is getting to be goofy with it and having the ability to take something that’s supposed to be gloomy and turn it into an energetic fun loving thing,” Moffit said. Photo by Emily Wise